Southside Speedway: Double win for Stinson
He clinches points title, then goes on to win featured race
Published Sunday, September 23, 2007

Other Articles
The moment Thomas Stinson wheeled his No.4 Modified car onto the track at Southside Speedway on Friday night, he became the division's track champion for the year. And he topped it off in style, coming from seventh place to win his ninth race of the year in the evening's 100-lap feature event before 2,000 spectators.

It was Stinson's fourth consecutive Modified championship at the Midlothian track, and his fifth in six years, a record for any division.

Dominance is a clear understatement. Every night Modified cars ran this season, Stinson won a race. Several nights there were triple or double races, and he never failed to win at least one on those evenings. On single race nights, the track belonged to him.

"I tried to be patient all year long, and I'm glad we could wrap up this championship early," Stinson said. "There are a lot of great drivers out here, and while it's fun to race against them, I appreciate the fact that, on the whole, everybody drives pretty clean. It's great to win against a bunch like this."

In Friday night's race, it was more about finesse than fender bending and attrition since only 12 cars took to the starting line.

Mike Rudy, Stinson's closest competitor this year, started sixth after the qualifying redraw and appeared to have one of the cars to beat, putting the pressure on leaders Chris Hoylman and Aubrey Thurston. Stinson began in the seventh slot as does each driver who wins the previous race. Rudy had moved up to fourth by Lap 2 and third by Lap 11. Stinson, however, was on his bumper, as usual.

As Stinson overtook Rudy, for a second it appeared that Thurston, who by that time had the lead, was going to fade. Hoylman made a valiant effort to run down Rudy and Stinson but blew a tire on Turn 3 of Lap 70 and dropped out of the running. Meanwhile, Stinson had taken over first place with Rudy in tow.

An ensuing caution brought Stinson back to the field, but once the green flag dropped again, it was nothing but clean air for Stinson.

On Lap 77, Rudy's engine died on him on the backstretch and Thurston went to second, but couldn't catch Stinson.

In the 30-lap Grand Stock event, Timmy Nice won with a wire-to-wire race, but for the second time in his past three events was disqualified, this time for an illegal engine fan and an illegal air-deflecting device. Keith Mackta was declared the race winner.

Michael Chapman won the 30-lap U-Car race, James Groome took the 50-lap Street Stock event, Wayne Clark won the 30-lap Pro-6 race and Chris Johnson came in first in the 25-lap Legends event.

Track trophies for the 2007 season were awarded in the Legends and Pro-6 divisions with Cameron Patrick winning the Legends championship, Rette Causey taking second and Kevin Yeatts third. Michael Edwards was named rookie of the year in the Legends Division.

Casey Sipe took the top spot for the season in the Pro-6 Division, with D.J. Watson second and Wesley Harris third.


Contact staff writer Walt Amacker at or (804) 649-6554.